“Billy Van Jura is an unabashed slayer/supporter of innovation, agency model advocate and is intolerable of weak stuff. He has multiple length sticks to poke into the Hornet’s nest.”
Bill Van Jura founded Birchyard LLC and is one of the most prophetic and antagonistic voices in the independent insurance industry.
He’s also among the most thought-provoking people I’ve ever met, and I relish every time we chat.
Don’t miss this episode…
- Billy and Ryan discuss content production quality. (4:42)
- Billy mentions that people should take the time to search for existing information before asking questions. (10:33)
- Ryan shares how COVID forced him to solve problems that he never had to solve before. (13:12)
- Ryan and Billy discuss Propeller Bonds and how it is a value add to the industry. (26:23)
- Billy mentions that he has met with basic insurance agents in New York who have been in business for 35 to 65 years, but are barely known and don’t have a Google profile or a website. (46:55)
- Billy explains why he believes that the sooner we kill the romance of the independent agent, the better. (51:40)
- Billy discusses the potential of a large aggregator that could develop their own carrier if they were successful in developing an MGA program. (59:22)
- “I believe the sooner we kill the romance of the independent agent, the better. You distribute insurance, get past anybody giving a s*it about you being local, because it’s not important.” – Billy Van Jura
- “Where I get stuck is when the what happens next? Iroquois or any of these big aggregators, the sooner they really develop an MGA program, the sooner they really develop their own carrier, the more interesting it gets.” – Billy Van Jura